About Us

About Us

Our History

In 1930, the members of the Lombard Women's Club formed an affiliate organization for their teenage daughters to promote an interest in community service and a spirit of friendship and cooperation among the young women of Lombard. At the beginning of the 1948-1949 club year, 100 ladies belonged to Lombard Junior Women’s Club (LJWC). In February of 1950, the Club reorganized due to age restrictions mandated by the Illinois State Federation. At the time, Junior Club members were to be between the ages of 18 and 35.

A contest was held to choose a name for a new club without age restrictions. "Lombard Service League" received the most votes. The Junior Club became the Lombard Service League at this time. By June of 1950, a new Junior Club had been formed with the age limit raised to 40. Approximately 45 young women attended a new member Tea, beginning the new "Lombard Junior Women's Club." Today, LJWC represents women of all ages.

In its infancy, the LJWC presented plays to fund its efforts. From the 1970's until 2007 the club’s major fundraiser was the annual Luncheon and Fashion Show. In 2008, a new fundraiser “The Bistros of the ‘Burbs” was introduced. The evening consisted of sampling food from different restaurants, as well as raffles and a silent auction. In 2013 we hosted our first Golf Outing "Tee Off with LJWC". And in 2014 we will be switching things up again in place of Bistros we will be hosting a Masquerade Ball. Thanks to the success of these efforts, we can support philanthropic causes in our community and beyond.